Tues, Sept 22, 2020
Great news! We are running a "MINI" Dutchman this fall. The tournament will be four weekend and will comprised of singles, doubles, optional singles in doubles and bolony bank. Bolony bank is singles and doubles scores added together. The first three games bowled will be singles and games 4-6 will be doubles event. To enter, you must bowl both events. The prize list will be calculated based on the same calculations for the regular Dutchman tournament.
Days: Saturdays 1pm or 5pm and Sundays 9am or 1pm
Dates: Sat, Oct 31 to Sun, Nov 22, 2020 CLICK HERE FOR ONLINE SCHEDULE
Cost: $66 per bowler ($33 for each event) + optional singles $10 + bolony bank $10 = Total for all events is $86 per bowler
Mon, June 29. 2020
The Dutchman Bolony Bowling Tourney is saddened to announce we have made the difficult decision to not continue the 72nd 2020 Dutchman Bolony Bowling Tournament. The tournament was able to bowl one weekend in March. We are working on the details of prize distribution. More information on final standings later.
After exhaustively researching information concerning our current situation, we have regretfully concluded that it simply is not feasible to host an event of the Dutchman Tournament’s scope and caliber during these difficult and unsafe times. Given the current challenges of travel, the constraints of social distancing, and the possibility that the bowling centers could be closed at the last minute by state officials weighed heavily into our decision. What was of upmost importance to us is the ability to provide a safe environment for our officials, center staff and competitors.
Factors that weighed into our decision:
- Bowlers hail from all over the mid-Atlantic region. The current trend of rising virus numbers and “hot-spot” areas defined through contact tracing. We do not want to jeopardize the reputation and/or livelihood of the tournament or either of the bowling centers should the virus be linked back to a participant or staff member. More so I’m sure neither center would want to close again, due to local government enforcement if an uptick in cases occurs.
- Face coverings, masks, are required by the Governor of PA to enter all businesses. While masks are required in common areas, you would not have to wear a mask to bowl. Ideally you would re-mask while waiting your turn to bowl. Not the kind of environment we strive to provide for our bowlers.
- Recent reports of an uptick in cases involving people who were within an enclosed area for a prolonged time. Squads are 3-4 hours indoors. This past weekend FL shut down all bars in the state. Pittsburgh announced that alcohol may not be served, except for take-out. These situations arose from many people in an enclosed environment and not practicing social distancing. We think we will be able to provide enough space to accomplish this but feel it will be challenging to have participants adhere to the policy.
Scheduling statistics show the rapid decline
Date # Teams # Dbls Pairs
2019 Final #s 1212 3294
March 29 1196 3253
April 27 940 2532
May 23 639 1676
June 29 423 1037 Most of these are reservations, not actual entries
- Bowling centers were granted to open at 50% occupancy with 6’ social distancing when the county they reside in went to Green Phase. While it is possible to still operate the tournament, there are many variables that would need to be addressed:
- Check-in process
- Social distancing for participants
- Use one lane or two – We only considered using pairs to bowl
- Can spectators attend
- Cleaning after squads
- Squad segregation – waiting in vehicle, until prior squad leaves, to enter building. Cleaning the building. Organizing the participants to enter the building in a safe manner, 6 ft apart.
- We pride ourselves on Pennsylvania Dutch hospitality. Unfortunately, this would not be the case this year. We hope to continue our “friendliest tournament around” status for many years to come!
Refund and 2021 Reservation Information
- Carry Funds Over to 2021 - Groups can carry their paid entry fees over to 2021. I will begin to schedule for 2021 when I have all refunds returned and the finalization of the 2020 tournament complete.
I respect everyone has an opinion. I have kept the faith for months.I hoped and prayed that the tournament could safely start by July.The data above outweighs the pros of hosting the tournament.I am saddened that I will not get to see all the bowlers this year!I feel grateful for our group leaders who worked hard to organize groups only to have the tournament cancelled.These leaders are one of the biggest reasons our tournament is thriving.Their time spent this year is most appreciated and they have a special place in my heart.
I appreciate your support and friendship over the years. We will see you in 2021! Stay safe.
Dutchman Tourney Manager
717-838-6345 – office
CDC – Social Activity Guidance https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/personal-social-activities.html
PA – Business Guidance https://www.governor.pa.gov/covid-19/business-guidance/
September 3, 2019
The Official 2019 Dutchman Tourney standings are posted and checks were mailed on Sept 3, 2019, to the squad sponsors (or team captain)